Thursday, August 20, 2015

HouseOfSolange on Etsy! Interview :)

 
Name: Serena O'Rourke
 
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
 
Age: 29
 
Name of shop: House of Solange
 
How'd you come up with the name of your shop: Solange is my middle name. It's of French origin and can be translated as either Earth Angel or Sun Angel. I have always had a pretty complex love-hate relationship with both my names, I like Solange, I think it's pretty but hate the way it sounds when I say it, Like it doesn't roll off my tongue properly. I have a diploma in fashion design and thought that if I ever established myself as a designer I would call my line House of Solange as I thought it sounded classy but not pompous. Well that dream went out the window and when I decided to start selling my crafts I thought well why think of something new.

How long has your shop been open: Since Fall 2013
 
What gave you the idea about opening an etsy shop: Sometimes in the evenings my husband and I like to watch TV or movies to wind down from a busy day. I have General Anxiety Disorder and found that I have a big issue sitting still even when watching tv, so I thought well I'm going to teach myself how to crochet to keep my hands busy and my mind calm. After a while I had a box of things I had made but wasn't using and  decided to open an etsy shop to sell my extra items. 
 
Is this a hobby of your or do you do this full time?: This is a hobby, By day I am a full time university student and work full time as an assistant manager in a yoga wear store.
 
What kind of items do you sell in your shop: I sell mostly crocheted items but also a small smattering of other crafty things.
 
Your favorite item that you sell: I honestly don't have a favorite. I try not to do repeat items unless requested.
 
Something you want to happen to your shop in the future: I am going to attempt my first craft fair on September. I want to see what that's like.
 
Do you have any plans for your shop products in the future: I am always looking for new things to crochet.
 
If so what: I think I my add more wearable garments to my shop, tops, wraps, skirts etc.
 
What is something you want your future customers to know about your shop: Sometimes it seems like life is finding the calm between storms. My shop is part of my calm but even still I don't take myself too seriously as to not be friendly or reasonable. If there is something you would like to see or a custom request feel free to drop me a line. Or maybe you just want to say hello. I'm down for that too :)


My favorite item that is for sale in this shop has got to this adorable unicorn hat. I love all the colors in it, and I also love how its a unicorn! I don't think ive ever seen a hat quite like this before and I love it!!!!!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/244172914/unicorn-hat-child-size-unicorn-hat?ref=shop_home_active_1
Retails:($23.55)


Check her shop out here:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HouseOfSolange?ref=search_shop_redirect