Wednesday, August 19, 2015

LilaBabyCandles on Etsy! Interview :)

 

 
 
 
 

Name: Tasha Skiles


Location: Wisconsin 

Age: 21

Name of shop: Lila Baby Candles 

How'd you come up with the name of your shop: I started my shop with the intention of only selling candles in repurposed baby food jars and wanted something that reflected my products.  My first thought was "Little baby candle boutique" but it just didn't click with me. I eventually worked my way to "little baby candles" but I felt like it needed some flair and used Google to look up the name in other languages. I saw the word for little in, sweedish I think it was, and I knew that was it. "Lila Baby Candles" was born. 

How long has your shop been open: little over 5 months. 

What gave you the idea about opening an etsy shop: as a stay at home mom, I had a lot of free time and I really needed a hobby. I started researching candle making and fell in love with it. But my family in general doesn't burn candles often so I honestly thought "hey I could sell these!" so I put in some hours researching online selling platforms and found etsy. I've heard of etsy in the past but never thought I'd end up selling there. 

Is this a hobby of your or do you do this full time?: first and foremost, I am a mother first. My now 1 year old son is my first priority but I do treat my etsy as a business and intend to become an LLC when I am able. I am always working on ideas and products for my shop. Even when I'm chasing down a hyper toddler. 

What kind of items do you sell in your shop: I sell hand poured soy wax candles, molded wax tarts, and most recently body products such as skin salves and sugar scrubs infused with therapy grade essential oils. 

Your favorite item that you sell: I'm in love with my wax tarts and essential oil products. The tarts are so full of fragrance I can fill my home with a beautiful scent just by putting 2 tarts in my warmer and they last for what feels like forever. The skin salve and sugar scrub have made my eczema much less noticeable and made my skin feel softer than ever. Plus the oils I've chosen have not only boosted my mood  and reduced my anxiety just from the aroma, but left my skin healthier. I wanted to make sure that my product leave you feeling better overall. 

Something you want to happen to your shop in the future: I definitely want to have steady sales every week. I put so much of myself into my work and so much thought, I want people to love them as much as I do. I'm slowly gaining speed so I hope I get there. 

Do you have any plans for your shop products in the future: I plan to work with  more charities/organizations/foundations/etc for my Candles for a Cause line of candles to raise awareness and funds for research and cures of diseases and conditions and I want to expand my bath and body products to include a wider range of items. 

What is something you want your future customers to kno about your shop: I'd love my customers to know that this isn't just a hobby, I really love making all my items and love working with charity to help those in need. I always take my time with orders to make sure everything is perfect before I send it. I'm not just someone rushing through a delicate process to make a quick buck on a cheaply made item. I love my work and I value my customers.

My favorite item that is for sale in this shop has got to be one of the baby jar candles. There so adorable and it was super clever on her part to use baby food jars for candles. It's the perfect size not to small and not to big either. I really want to try one of these out!
Retails:($8.00)


Make sure you check her shop out here: